22.11.05

LUANG PRABANG, POSTO MERAVIGLIOSO














This is a very special place, so relaxant and quiet wih its plenty of temples, old and new ones
a lot of trees and flowers, rice fields, simple wooden houses but also bars and restaurants
some of which, along the banks of the river Mekong where you can seat admiring the brown water and the long boats going up and down while sipping a beer lao (one of the best in the world) and eating chicken in coconut sauce or yellow noodles with vegetables and rice, ending with a fruit salad and a very tasty and unique lao coffee (the best in my experience) at candle lights with few people around, no noise of traffic or people shouting.
I have rent a bike and went around the city all morning long, passing the banks of Mekong and Than Nam rivers inside which lays Luang Prabang. I have passed some wooden bridges and some little hills and after climbing the long steps I have reached the top of the hill with a superb sight of the valley and the rivers below. All around green mountains and the line of the airport.
In the afternoon I chose the excursion by minibus to the famous Kuang Si waterfalls at an hour from LP.
We have passed a green country with modest Hmong villages, a particular tribe very skill in producing and selling textile handicrafts very beautiful and colourful, all handmade.
The 200 hundred meter high waterfall is amazing and in a scenery of natural swimming pools
where I have refreshed myself even if it was not hot. You hear only the concert of the water falling dawn and the clicks of the cameras of the tourists.
I met a slovenian woman who lived in my town of origin and now in Cracovia, Poland and she told me that his father was the doctor who assisted my mother when I was born, incredibe as he was the only doctor in that hospital in 1950!
In the minibus I knew a man from Taiwan very friendly and interesting as it has been the first time in my wandering around the world that I knew a taiwanese.
A very nice person with whom I had dinner in the restaurant along the river that has become my restaurant.also for the following days.
While he went to sleep soon as the following day had to leave for Vientiane early in the morning, I opted for my first herb/oil Lao massage, better than the nervous thailandese or the rude burmese. Now I am prepared, so relaxed to go to bed and just think to the following day.
Have decided to rent a country/bike, to cross the river by ferry boat and to wander through the country, the hills and the Hmong villages on the other side, instead of collecting further temples or taking the boat to the cave upnorth which I have been told is not particularly interesting.
So good night and see you tomorrow evening!

No comments: